There are so many questions when it comes to growing a garden, and answers can vary from location to location. It's my desire to hold the garden gate open for all people who have the desire to grow food. In this episode of the podcast, I'm sharing my gardening answers to your most frequently asked questions.
Why I Love Gardening
I always find it amazing that I'm looked at as a “gardening expert” in this community of online gardeners. In reality, when I think of someone who's an expert, they have decades of gardening experience. In comparison, I really don't have that much experience.
But the garden has wooed me ever since I can remember and it truly is my favorite place of worship. Because of this, I have spent countless hours growing, tending and harvesting vegetables, flowers and fruit, then sharing my experiences with you all.
I know, without a doubt, that I would not be the experienced gardener I am today without the feedback from many of you, my viewers on YouTube. The comments section of my videos is a treasure trove of wisdom. This is especially true of gardening questions that I have no clue of the answers to.
Because I've been solely growing in the southern states (Arkansas and now South Carolina) there are certain questions I get asked about such as particular insects that I've never heard of, growing in sandy soil, or cold-weather gardening that I just don't know the answers to. I'm a great gardener for my region, but if I moved to another growing climate I would have to relearn how to garden in that area.
There are basics when it comes to gardening that don't change no matter where you live such as how to start seeds indoors, companion planting (though varieties may vary, the concept is the same), container gardening, no-till gardening methods, organic pest control (though the pests may differ, many of these methods work on a variety of garden pests), vertical gardening techniques, and preparing garden beds with cardboard, among countless other topics.
Gardening Answers In This Episode
- Where to connect with local gardeners in your area.
- What's a veggie or fruit that surprised me with how it grows or tastes?
- Advice on growing brassicas.
- Should you purchase or apply compost to your garden each year?
- How to maintain healthy garden soil. Learn to make compost tea here.
- What is my garden planning method? You can learn my garden planning basics here.
- Tips when selling extra plant starts for income.
- Planting “sacrificial plants” as a trap crop for problem insects. I go into more detail about this in my blog post on companion planting.
- Tips for gardening with infants and young toddlers.
- What does it mean to me that the garden is a place of worship?
More Gardening Tips You May Like
- Gardening for Beginners
- How to Direct Sow Carrot Seeds
- Garden Planning Basics (How to Plan Your Garden)
- My Seed Shopping Method
- All About Pollination For Seed Saving
- A Complete Guide to Seed Saving
- Growing A Garden From Grocery Store Food
- How to Build a Raised Garden Bed (On a Budget)
- $7 Kiddie Pool Raised Garden Bed (& Other Cheap Container Garden Ideas)
- How to Build a Garden Arch Trellis or Garden Arbor (for $30!)