It’s mid-summer, and your garden is flourishing and producing delicious tomatoes! I’m sure you have lots of ways to use up all of this goodness, but have you ever tried a tomato sandwich? This is my all-time favorite way to savor the taste of summer.
Tomato sandwiches are eaten all over the world, but there are many people who have never heard of them.
There are variations to how people have learned to eat them depending on where they live. My favorite way consists of bread, homemade mayo, and tomatoes. That’s it!
Start With Homegrown Tomatoes
If you are like me, you planted those tomato starts and enjoyed every minute of watching them grow. If you had some struggles and know you need to change a few things next year, check out the best way I have found to plant and grow tomatoes.
For tomato sandwiches, each heirloom tomato has its own flavor, but they are all good on a sandwich. There is no “best tomato” in my opinion!
How Do You Make A Tomato Sandwich?
You have your first few ripe tomatoes! You’ve added them to salads, or made fresh salsa, but now let me teach you how to make a tomato sandwich.
- Bread – two thick slices of toasted white bread are my favorite, but any bread will do! I'm looking forward to trying this with some homemade sourdough this summer with tomatoes grown in our first South Carolina garden!
- Tomatoes – either a large slicer tomato or multiple slices of smaller tomatoes. My favorite is to use one nice thick slice from a large tomato similar in size to my bread.
- Mayo – as much or as little as you see fit. Homemade mayonnaise adds extra goodness.
- Salt – salt brings out the tomato flavor, don't skip it! My favorite is a good flaked sea salt like this.
Toast two slices of bread and cover the inside of both with mayo. Slice the tomato and place on bread. Sprinkle it with salt and cover with the other piece of bread.
I prefer the classic recipe, but there are add-ons you can use if you choose to. Here are a few ideas:
- Mozzarella cheese
Grilling it after assembling it is also an option. The beauty of this sandwich is that you can totally craft it to your own taste!
What is your favorite way to make a tomato sandwich?
Did you make this recipe? If so, I'd love for you to leave a star rating on the recipe card below! Then be sure to tag us on social media with a photo of your tomato sandwich variation so I can see.
More Recipes You May Enjoy
- Bruschetta – My Favorite Summer Treat
- Homemade Butter
- Bone Broth – A Simple Homemade Recipe
- Stovetop Popcorn (Our Favorite Real Food Snack)
- Pour-Over Coffee at Home
- Homemade Mayonnaise
- Elderberry Syrup – (For Kids and Adults)
Classic Tomato Sandwich Recipe
- 2 slices bread thick cut is best
- 1 slice tomato or multiple slices of smaller varieties
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- sea salt to taste
- Slice and toast bread.
- While bread is toasting, slice tomatoes.
- Once the toast is ready, spread mayonnaise onto one side of each piece of bread.
- Layer on the tomato slice and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Add the top piece of bread and enjoy!
- Mozzarella cheese