This is the first in a series of questions and answers where I'm answering your questions based on various topics that you all asked me on social media. Today is the homestead edition, which is why Miah is joining me on the podcast. This is his area of expertise and I'm glad to have him here.
This is episode number four of the Roots and Refuge Podcast. If you've missed any of our previous podcasts, you can listen to them right here on our Roots and Refuge podcast page.
For early access to our podcast episodes, to join our monthly live video calls, and to be entered into a chance to win a trip to Roots and Refuge farm, be sure to join us over on Patreon.
Topics Discussed in this Podcast:
- Would we consider keeping emu or reindeer? Or any other exotic livestock…
- How do we keep our jersey cows clean for milking?
- How do we deal with anxiety, stress and fear?
- Dealing with money, prioritizing projects, and keeping stressors in check.
- Dealing with water issues and sourcing water on a homestead.
- Why knowing your skill level, your financial status, your time commitment and what you want to do play into finding a homestead property.
- How knowing what you want to do will determine what you do with your property.
- Looking at stipulations or other factors in a homeowners contract.
- Understanding what to expect when buying raw land and expenses to expect.
- How much work do we hire out vs. do ourselves, and how do we decide?
- How to generate income as a new homesteader? For more information, check out this blog post on making money on the homestead.
- What skills should those who want to homestead one day be learning now?